Wednesday, August 31, 2005

No pain here, but...

On Monday, I had two of my wisdom teeth pulled. After hearing many stories from people who knew I was going "under the knife," I was prepared for the worst. Since I am groggy this morning, I'll give you the short version.

The dentist gave me lots of novacaine, so I couldn't feel anything sharp. He didn't "put me out" or whatever, which would have been fun. But I did get to hear and see him pounding away at my upper wisdom teeth. I heard teeth cracking, and felt so much pressure at one point that I thought he was trying to pull an eyeball out of my mouth. Nice picture, eh?

Anyhow, as I was leaving, he gave me a list of instructions, and a prescription for vicatin. As master of the obvious, I said, "So, Doc, after this novacaine wears off, I should expect some pain?"

Dude grimaced and said, "uh, yeah..." It was actually at that point that he gave me the prescription.

So I raced over to Kroger and got the prescription. The pharmacist tells me about some of the effects of vicatin, and other things I can do for this impending onslaught of dental doom. He suggests Aleve, and says I can go ahead and take the Vicatin BEFORE I feel the pain, as a preemptive strike.

So, I follow all of his instructions, and race home before taking the vicatin.

Three days later, I have felt hardly any pain in my mouth. I have only taken four vicatin pills in three days, so maybe I've had it easy. Probably the most painful moment has been looking at all the blood, or holding my two former teeth and being amazed at how big they are!

Well, I do feel blessed (by God, my dentist, and apparently vicatin) that I am not another wisdom tooth horror story.

In other news, I have spent several of the last 24 hours watching CNN. By now, you all know about Hurricane Katrina, and it sure seems like even the worst of this is yet to come.

It's absolutely heartbreaking to sit there and watch what's going on - the destruction, the rescue efforts, the commentary - but I feel like I really must watch it. No (directed at the mayor Biloxi or whoever made that comment), this is not as bad as the Tsunami - not even close! But it is extremely bad, and it is getting worse, and it is right here in a large American city.

While I am personally grateful for my friends and family that we have NOT been affected by this... I am sick to my stomach just thinking about it. Even now, the rescue and relief efforts seem so helpless without communication, electricity, or basic coordination around what is going on.

1 comment:

Brian Megilligan said...

All I remember about having my wisdom teeth pulled was how much and long my cheeks hurt. I think they really stretched them to keep my mouth open to do the work. It was several weeks after my wisdom teeth "divots" before my cheeks felt normal. Oh well.

Brian