There's the logo for our new sermon series here at Delaware Grace. The other night, I discovered that a church in Cincinnati is also doing a series by that very same name! Horizon Community Church is doing a 5-week look at some of the more popular movies of Christmas. They started with A Christmas Story.
Anyhow, Jennie and I watched The Polar Express last night. I remember being at a ministry conference in 2004 when they were giving out free tickets to an advanced screening. As if the movie had something to do with faith.
Well, "they" were right on. This movie has a LOT to do with faith. I must have found seven or eight great clips from this movie that address the issue of and search for faith.
The main character is supposed to be Tom Hanks as a little boy. He really wants to believe in Santa Claus, the North Pole, and the whole story of Christmas.
I don't want to ruin the movie for anyone... But if you want a movie that can really take you back to the wonder, the fantasy, the excitement of Christmas, I think this is that kind of movie.
Quite frankly, I expected NOT to like it. I've had some people tell me it wasn't a good movie. I have my mom telling me "it got weird" in a couple of spots. It may not be a movie for everyone.
For whatever reason, the movie hit a special cord with me. The main character really wanted to believe. Much of his interactions deal with the power of believing. The power of seeing the unseen. How faith must come before actions.
Tom Hanks must play ten characters in the movie. One of his characters says quite clearly, "Sometimes, the most real things are the things we can't see." How true.
The trailer for this movie starts out with a narrator saying, "What if there was a place beyond your imagination, and to get there, all you have to do is believe?"
Well, I think there IS such a place. In fact, I think experiencing life with God is such a place.
And that's precisely why I really liked The Polar Express.

No comments:
Post a Comment