Saturday, July 22, 2006

Next week in Denver...

Yeah, I haven't blogged in two weeks.

Yeah, I'm holding out on some recent pics of Allie and Luke.

Yeah, I'm going to Denver this week, for a class on Christian Spiritual Formation... It's my third class in Denver in two years. I suppose I will have spent as much time in Denver as I have in Akron over the last 13 months. Weird. The class has been great so far, with lots of good reading about spiritual growth, prayer, and helping people grow in the church.

Since I am often into lists, here you go - with the TOP TEN things I'm really looking forward to about being in Denver...

(10) Like three minutes from the Seminary is this plaza... The plaza itself has Champp's Restaurant, Qdoba, The Apple Store, and Panera (wireless internet). You can sit out on the Panera porch and watch the sun set over the Rocky Mountains in incredible colors... unbelievable.

(9) The Next Level Church. Tuesday night @ 7pm.

(8) Having a class with Bruce Demarest. Dude has written at least three books that I have read and enjoyed (Soul Guide, Satisfy Your Soul, and Integrative Theology). Having recently read Satisfy Your Soul, I admire Dr. Demarest for his thoughffulness and perspective on Christianity. Apparently, he's also an avid outdoorsman and hiker.

(7) Seeing the Seminary again. Great people, great facility, great culture and passion for training Christian leaders. It's just an inspiring place to be. I also feel the same about this place.

(6) Possibly visiting The Garden of the Gods and Adam's Moutain Cafe' on Friday... Home of the best burrito I've ever had in my life.

(5) Eating at least once at Mega Wraps. It's right next to the Jamba Juice, and

(4) Our one-day spiritual retreat into the mountains on Wednesday, July 26. Led by Alan Andrews, leader of the Navigators... it wouldn't suprise me if he takes us to Glen Eyrie retreat center near Colorado Springs.

(3) Jamba Juice. No explanation needed.

(2) Seeing the Rocky Mountains. They are amazing. I love the drive on 285 West as I'm coming toward the Seminary from the airport. You're going down the hill and you see the mountains sprawling out in front of you - and above you. Awesome. I'll get some footage.

(1) Getting a great deal of alone time with God. That's the point of the whole week this time. The point of the class. The retreat - the whole week should be terrific.

And, so you all remember it's not REALLY like a vacation, here are the TOP TEN things I'm NOT looking forward to about being in Denver....

(10) Well, it's my first Denver trip since Tim & Suzanne Cooper have moved to Michigan. It's not going to be the same without seeing them. Seriously - it was always awesome seeing them there. Maybe I'll see if Coop will go to some Jamba Juice in Detroit and we can talk on cell.

(9) While I'm sure the class will be great... but, like, I'll be in class for 30+ hours this week... you know...

(8) Missing the Father-Son baseball game outing at our church. Granted, the "sons" are supposed to be age 5 and up, but - did you know - I'm a pastor? Just like Billy Zane, Pastors make their own luck.

(7) Without Cooper, how I am I supposed to find the ESPN Zone restaurant downtown?

(6) For those of you who like to travel, or eat out, or go to school, or stay at different places... as usual, this ain't free.

(5) Being away from our church for a week. I do love it and I will miss seeing people all week. I'll be back Sunday, though!

(4) Did I mention that I'll really miss seeing Tim Cooper?

(3) Being away from Luke for a week

(2) Being away from Allie for a week. Tonight, I got to pray with her and tuck her in bed. She is an absolute blast, and so cute. Her new thing is putting blankets all over me and giving me her doggie, as if she's putting me to bed.

(1) Being apart from Jennie for a week. It's never a good thing. Thank God for Sprint's free nights and weekends.

No comments: