Tuesday, October 03, 2006

"Must-See" Television?

Welcome to October, where every other commercial is about how some new show is "taking America by storm." Well, forgive me if I'd rather not be addicted to television.

I don't know what the latest stats are, but you always hear about the "average American" and like 20 hours of television a week. Maybe that number is low.

So, what's on TV at the Underwood household?

Allie's favorites -- Well, we really don't want her to watch all that much. But when we do, it's things like Winnie the Pooh, Clifford the Big Red Dog, and the Wiggles.

Luke's favorites --- anything Ohio State, Pro Football, or simply to sit and laugh at the blank screen.

Jennie's favorites --- The Gilmore Girls. I had no idea how many people watch this show. I can't even tell you what network it's on. I just know that the dialogue is like reading Shakespeare.

Gary & Jennie's favorites --- LOST. The Office (sometimes). College Football GameDay.

Shows we don't want to watch: "Must NOT See" TV - 'Deal or No Deal,' 'My Name is Earl,' 'Grey's Anatomy,' and 'The Bachelor.'

Shows we've never seen: CSI (regardless of location). Survivor (sorry!) - we're just not into the "reality" shows anymore, if we ever were.

We're down to 2.5 hours a week, plus Buckeyes. Just don't have the time, and if we did, it's not worth it.

What are your shows? Do you spend lots of extra time flipping channels? Are you trying out new shows like Studio 60 or "The Nine"?

Are you offended that I did a blog about television?

Do you own a television? Is anything on it a "must-see" for you?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jon and I are latecomers. We just caught on to 24 this spring and watched seasons 1-4 in a couple of months. Can't wait for season five to come out on dvd so we can be caught up before it comes on the air. I don't know how we'll deal with just one episode each week. The Office is pretty funny, but we just don't watch shows regularly. Except Sesame Street is a non-preschool day staple.

Anonymous said...

It always seems like our schedule is too crazy to consistently sit down and watch a series. That said, when I do turn on the TV, I'm always pleased to see...

-The Office
-America's Funniest Home Videos (yes, this confirms my dorkhood, but I'm not ashamed to admit it)
-Um
-Sheesh, I can't think of anything else

It's not that The Office is my favorite show, it's just that I can sit down and in one half hour get a few laughs without having watched a full season's worth of backstory.

I didn't mention 24, which is easily my favorite show right now. We've never actually watched it on broadcast TV -- we've only watched it on DVD. Good stuff!

By the way, April and I caught the last few minutes of Friday Night Lights yesterday evening. I knew vaguely it had something to do with high school football, but not much else. The few minutes we saw showed a football team going down on their knees after a game and saying a (very realistic) prayer for an injured teammate, "in Jesus' name" and everything. I don't know if that's indicative of the series as a whole, but I was intrigued.

Anonymous said...

So, I just checked back to see if you posted my comment, and I see that my wife has posted a comment as well. It's funny, and kinda creepy, that April and I independently posted such similar messages.

But, like the complementary perspectives of the various Gospel accounts, it merely reinforces the truth of our message. Except that The Office and 24 won't save your soul. (Though Jack Bauer is arguably something like a type of Christ.)

Becks & Lee said...

Television free for three years now! Don't miss it. Except Becks really wouldn't mind seeing some sporting events now and then. So we are really clueless as to what shows are out or have been out. And thankful most of the time to have no tv in our house :o) We sure do get lots of offers from friends who have 2 or more tvs in their house to take one of their spares, but we never accept the offers! So many other things to do!