Monday, May 03, 2004

Lots of random thoughts

Sometimes it feels weird writing stuff about our lives online. Time permitting, I'd rather talk to everyone in person. Then again, I also love to write, and this doesn't take very long to update.

Another "whirling dervish" of a weekend, involving birthdays, baby showers, parties, mexican food, and old roommates.

My roommate and good friend from Grace Seminary, Kary Oberbrunner, stayed overnight last night. Here's a recent photo of him, which, if clicked on, would get you to his website...

Kary recently wrote a book - The Journey Toward Relevance -that has been published by Relevant Books. His book is very insightful about the various types of Christians out there today. Some are "separatists" - choosing to remain totally separate from the world and setting up more boundaries from the world and culture. Others are "conformists" who want so desperately to connect the Christian message in a way that will be heard today that they conform too much to the patterns, tastses, and expectations of secular culture.

Kary's book challenges and equips people who are interested in becoming "transformists" - Christians who live a strong and distinctly-Christian lifestyle in such away that it is relevant to the world we live in. His book is personal, entertaining, and frankly makes me jealous. You can order it through Kary's website.

The guy to your left has a huge heart for God and others and tremendous gifts, passion, and commitment to living life to the fullest. I hope Allison marries a guy like this Kary. Jennie actually knew Kary before I did, cause dude is from Wisconsin. He wasn't here that long, but we worked out, shared some Mexican food, talked a lot, and had some of our legendary Tekken battles.

I had two terrific roommates in Seminary. Kary Oberbrunner (read the above paragraphs again), and Kelly Larned.

Kelly Larned and I have great history as well. We became friends during my senior year at Grace. I was his RA, and Kelly was the crazy frosh who was setting off fireworks in the hall when I'd least expect it. Of course, being such a good friend, I would let him off the hook for pretty much anything. Good friends look out for each other.

Anyhow, Kelly "mad bomber" Larned, was also a roommate for the summer when I lived on 704 Chestnut Street. He threw a tremendous graduation party, one of only TWO times that I witnessed dancing (light, fun, rated G-dancing) at Grace.

Well, I'm writing to tell you that Kelly is engaged! Maybe you already knew this... but he met his wife, Keri, at the end of last year on eharmony.com! I have met more people lately that have met their lifelong love on this website/cupid service! Check it out (if you're single).

-----

Thanks to all of you who wished me a happy birthday in one form or another. 30 is a good one so far, but I was definitely "sentimental" about it. I am off now to The Chapel for a meeting, and Jennie is headed to Babies R Us, our second home now. I'll have a video with lots of footage of baby shower "oohs" and "aahs" sometime soon. Thanks for reading!! Have a great day!






No comments: