Friday, May 07, 2004

Soccer? Not MY Kid!

Life is a mysterious thing. Yesterday, I looked at Jennie's stomach, and could clearly feel a foot kicking powerfully against it from inside, trying to get out. Jennie and I aren't big soccer fans, but it seems like our daughter is headed in this direction. Hopefully my connection with soccer lovers like Tim Cooper, Kyle Milligan, Jamie Kozick, and David Ward will serve us well.

Speaking of Tim Cooper, he's a friend of mine who actually cancelled his Cable (or Dish) permanently, so he and his wife wouldn't waste so much time watching TV. Think about how much our relationships, our physical fitness, our priorities, and everything else gets distracted by whatever's on must-see TV that night. Huge props to the Coopers for getting a grip on the situation, and it's a challenge to all of us not to just tune in and channelsurf for 5 hours a day or whatever the latest statistic says.

I can't really figure out why I don't like soccer. I went to Cleveland Force (MSL) games as a kid, and they were pretty exciting. I guess I can't understand a game that won't let you use your hands. In basketball, you obviously shoot or pass or dribble the ball with your hands. In baseball, you grip a ball, a glove, or a bat if you're on the field. In football, of course you use your hands to tackle, throw, or hold the other guy's jersey illegally. But in soccer, the ball can't even touch your hands without play coming to a screeching halt.

I think it all boils down to this - I am not good with my feet. I have never been accused of being "fleet-footed" or anything like that. So I play other sports.

I probably kicked in the womb too. Just because Allie kicks, doesn't make her a soccer player. We will see to that. I think when she starts to kick a basketball instead of bounce it, she'll be grounded.

Jennie has been sick off and on this week, but just a cold or flu-type thing.

Am I going to become one of those Dads who can't talk about anything else but his baby child? I do hear from everyone about how your life changes, and how you'll be so in love with this little person who depends on you. True - and bring it on!

But I hope that we can both keep up our "rep" and connection with the grown-up world as well. Time will tell.

No comments: