Sunday, July 25, 2004

Movie Review Disclaimer...

My previous post was a movie review about The Bourne Supremacy.

Because of some conversations I have with people, or comments people make, I feel I have to make the following disclaimer. I will do so in a "comment/response" format.

COMMENT (from someone else): "Gary, you seem to watch a lot of movies - don't you have better things to do with your time?"

RESPONSE: "I do enjoy movies. I enjoy a great story that is well told by a director and well-portrayed by the actors. I think movies are actually the most effective sermons to today's culture. I actually do use much of my time to do other things. I spend a lot of time at work, doing ministry and being involved in people's lives. I have changed more diapers at this point, and I always enjoy holding Allison and spending time with her - I can't get enough of that. You know I like doing a website and writing a journal online. I am also starting to workout more at the local YMCA and spending time with people. I am very satisfied with how I'm using my time right now. I see movies as a productive hobby that I enjoy. I suppose I should mow the lawn tomorrow, though."

COMMENT #2: "Gary, you like to see movies right when they open - why is that?"

RESPONSE: "I don't know. I think it's because I'm a fan of movies. Again, I think stories are the most powerful way of getting through to people - and movies are our modern-day form of storytelling. Each movie is a parable, really. If a movie preview seems especially intriguing, or I really like a certain actor or director, I am excited to see it."

COMMENT #3: "Gary, I hear you go to some movies by yourself - what's up with that?"

RESPONSE: "I'd prefer to go with Jennie (my wife), and she has gone to more movies with me than not lately. An astute friend encouraged us to see two movies on the weekend before we had Allison, and we are glad we took his advice. We had a great time together. Just to be honest, there are some movies that Jennie doesn't like. She doesn't like action as much, and she doesn't like scary scenes or thriller movies.

I am also an only child, so I don't mind doing certain things by myself. I don't mind sitting in the theater by myself."

COMMENT #4: "Do you really think we care what you think of a movie?"

RESPONSE: "No, but it is a very easy way to start up a conversation. Especially with meeting new people, movies are often a great connection point. An easy way to start talking. I used to connect more in conversations about sports, but I'm getting tired of that."

COMMENT #5: "Tired of sports? Are you an idiot?"

RESPONSE: "No, I am not an idiot. I am just tired of talking sports sometimes. Maybe it's part of being a Cleveland fan. I'm tired of the same conversations about how things never go our way. I'd rather see Will Smith kill some robots than watch the Indians blow a lead late in the game for the 100th time."



No comments: