Hard to believe this site has been up for almost two months! Seriously, I am having a great time doing this, and look forward to making many more memories online. We do look forward to giving some pictures here of Allison and our new family.
However, this won't be a site that says stuff like "1,020 visitors since February 15th of 2004." I mean, that would be pretty self-promoting. And deceptive - since probably 250 of those visitors have been ME, checking my own site! Quality control checks, to be sure. I wouldn't just keep clicking "reload" just to up the visitor statistics for my site. That would be a pointless waste of time.
Rest assured, I am not doing this website to get your money, or to put silly advertisements on here from Yahoo, Geico, or anyone else.
I do, however, like to mention friends who are doing websites, or special events or things that I have noticed in my travels online. Kary Oberbrunner, Josh Smith, and Jeremy Bear are just a few of the guys I know doing fun websites. I could add Jon Schweitzer's link, but I'm not giving you my password.
Mad props to Becks & Lee (Jeff & Leanne Becksfort), two of our close friends from The Chapel who moved to Oregon over two months ago, and have signed the guestbook. I do think this is a great way to keep in touch with people, and I hear that Becks is considering a website. Can anyone validate those rumors?
Well, I got to speak Sunday night at The Chapel's "Illuminate" service - the 5:30pm version that is geared for a louder, faster, younger crowd, I suppose. The talk was about the various miracles or "signs" that took place while Jesus was dying on the cross - things like darkness, an earthquake, a torn temple curtain, and people coming back from the dead. All very shocking events that would make for a great movie. But this stuff happened in REAL LIFE, and we've all got to reckon with it. Who was Jesus? Anyhow, it is always a privilege to speak, and I always feel nervous like it's "game day" for an athlete or something.
Speaking of athletes, I am doing the "devotional" at this Friday's "Good Friday Prayer Breakfast" at the YMCA. Did you know that I have been a card-carrying member of 4 different YMCAs in 4 different states? I bet you can't name them.
Well, the Green YMCA is obvious now. I always get in great conversations with people there, and one guy recently asked me, "What's the difference between being 'spiritual' and being 'religious.'?" Well, what would you say?
When I lived in Michigan, I was a year-long member of the St. Joseph/Benton Harbor YMCA. I think that was the first YMCA I really got serious about. That one was always a 15-minute drive from home, with Subway as a nice halfway point. I'm not sure there's a better workout plan than going to the Y before a nice Turkey Breast Sub.
In Milwaukee, I actually WORKED at a YMCA for three months. "Front Desk Personnel" or something cool like that. Had several good friendships develop, and met a bunch of Russian-speaking guys. Never really played hoops there, but it was nice to get a free membership with the job.
By far, my favorite Y of all-time is in Winona Lake, Indiana. I'll probably tear up if I start to recount all the memories. For three years as a seminary student, I spent a great deal of time there. Played tons of basketball there...and got in the best shape in my life there. In case you wondered, that's how I landed Jennie. Think I could swing dance now? Hah!
Then again, even if I "could" swing dance today, doesn't mean I would.
I am a man of principles, you know.
Principle #1: Type whatever comes to your mind.
Principle #2: Once you're married, don't go swing dancing.
Principle #3: Be willing to give up principle #2, if the wife asks.
Principle #4: Honor principle #1 more regularly, to keep the "mutterings" current.
Principle #5: Don't assume people are actually reading this stuff.
Principle #6: Don't assume they aren't - make sure you don't say anything you'll regret.
Principle #7: Lists of principles often make for boring reading.
Wednesday, April 07, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment