Last year about this time, I made a prediction about how the Browns would do in 2004. The Browns finished the season with a record of 4-12. With shocking accuracy, I predicted that exact record!
Here I am in 2005, and some of you are challenging me to duplicate my predicting prowess.
The Browns looked great in beating the Green Bay Packers AT LAMBEAU FIELD on Sunday. Let those words sink in to your heart and mind. The Browns beat the Packers. See, I run in some circles where certain Packer fans like to rip on Cleveland. The Browns could go 1-15 this season, and I'd still hold my head up high in those circles.
Anyhow, let me say that Browns' new coach Romeo Crennel is a great guy, the perfect fit, and off to a solid start.
Let me add that the people making decisions about players (GM Phil Savage, President John Collins) are just as solid.
HOWEVER, the Browns simply do NOT have the talent to contend or do very well this year. They have players with better character, leadership, and teamwork - but they don't have much more talent than last year. If this team succeeds, they will be a "poor man's" Patriots - relying on the TEAM concept to eke out a few victories.
Because of their lack of talent, I'm hoping they get higher draft picks next year. In order to do that, you must lose a majority of your games. Nobody loses on purpose, though, so the Browns could mess my plan up. Apparently, they would rather try to win football games than try to get a shot at Matt Leinart, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, or (of course) A.J. Hawk. Apparently, they didn't get the memo that they were supposed to roll over and play dead in front of the ghost of Reggie White or Vince Lombardi.
This Browns team is going to win a few ballgames this year. Not because they're all that great yet, but because there is such equality in the NFL, and because they have a coach who will prepare them and put them in position to win.
In short, I think the Browns go 6-10 or - at best - 7-9. Sadly, I think they will still lose some close games they could win. But the best is when they beat better teams in their own stadiums while frustrating their hall of fame quarterbacks.
MEMO TO PHIL SAVAGE, BROWNS GM: With the 6-10 record, you'll probably pick somewhere between 6 and 10. That's an ideal place to grab A.J. Hawk and solidify your defense for the next 12 years. He's Spielman 2.

1 comment:
Browns Shrowns, what I want to know is, are the Indians going to make it into the playoffs?!?
And will they win once/if they get there??? :)
Yeah, it was cool that the Browns beat the Packers the other day!
Brian
Post a Comment