Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Great. Another book review??

Today, I finished reading "It Takes a Church to Raise a Christian" by Tod Bolsinger. Mutterings' "On the Scene" columnist Fake Guy sat down again with Gary to get his thoughts on another interesting read about Christianity and the Church... Here are some highlights from that interview:

FG: Dude, not another book review.

GU: Hey, you're the one who contacted me for this blog entry. I just share whatever you ask about.

FG: Well, basically, people are tired of book reviews and want to hear about Allie on the eve of her second birthday.

GU: Yeah, it was a little emotional at the Underwood abode tonight. Allie's last day as a 1-year old. Tomorrow, she turns 2. She is not quite "terrible" yet, but she is showing all the usual signs. Lots of whining.

FG: What are some of the funny things she says?

GU: Well, she takes her toy cow, sits him down, and tells him to "stop whining. stop whining. stop whining." She is already learning how to discipline her children.

FG: Nice. Even her whining is cute, though, right?

GU: That's what she thinks.

FG: Does she whine as much as the Dallas Mavericks?

GU: Funny.

FG: I thought so.

GU: I actually hoped they would win until game five. Sure, the game and refs didn't go their way, but their actions were really childish. I had to look at the television and say the same thing that we say to Allie - "stop whining."

FG: Did the Mavericks hear you?

GU: Apparently yes, cause game seven they seemed more civilized. But they clearly were not the better team in this series.

FG: So, what else is new?

GU: Well, summer is here in full swing. The garden is planted out back. Our church is searching for a full-time youth pastor. I am reading a lot. Praying about starting some more Home Groups. Trying not to eat food after 8:00pm. The usual stuff.

FG: No food after 8pm - are you trying to celebrate Ramadan?

GU: Actually, I'm not. I am not really into Islam. I'm more of a Christ-follower.

FG: Ah, I should have known by your choice of reading material.

GU: It takes a Church to Grow a Christian.

FG: Didn't Hilary Clinton say that?

GU: Well, in a less religious sort of way...

FG: Oh.

GU: For whoever cares, the book has some good insights on the real purposes for worship and the Bible's role in our church and faith. We should view worship as something other than being personally inspired wherever we happen to be. God commands us to worship Him together, in public, and with the family of God.

FG: So, when I'm at the beach watching the sunset, I'm not worshipping?

GU: Well, not in the fullest sense - God intends for worship to happen in community - in a place where believers are gathered to offer God a service-sacrifice of praise. My parents did attend a church worship service on the beach in Hawaii, so that might count.

FG: What about the Koran? Can we read the Koran in our worship?

GU: Man, you are really into Islam stuff tonight, aren't you....

FG: Well, I'm about to watch Syriana, starring George Clooney, so I have been pondering the religious side of the middle east.

GU: How can you ponder stuff? You don't even exist!

FG: True, but you're an only child, so you make up false people and post blogs about conversations that never happen.

GU: Touche'. So, are you really going to watch Syriana?

FG: I don't know. It's gotta be better than reruns of LOST.

2 comments:

danny2 said...

not to pick, and i know we stated this is dangerous to do over the internet and not the phone...

but does the premise of this book (which i agree that we often underestimate the great necessity of corporate worship) make you a little more nervous about the seeker driven model?

that we would take a function that can not really be duplicated in other settings, and which is important for the life and health of the church diminish it's importance? or that we would focus our attention solely on the nonbeliever and neglect the unique ministry corporate worship has for the believer?

if i'm way off base, forgive me and continue to be patient.

did the book mention anything about the evangelistic nature of corporate worship? it seems that when nonbelievers see believers engaged together in genuine worship to God, that the nonbeliever is struck by something they have never seen before. did he hit on that at all?

if you don't want to answer...i'm sure FG could tackle these for you.

Becks & Lee said...

A reply to your comment on our blog...No, we don't go to Imago Dei church, but have also heard many wonderful things of that church. We go to Solid Rock Fellowship Church. An AWESOME church in the Portland area as well!! :o)