Since my good friends Derrak and Danny recently shared about books they've read, I thought it was finally time for me to do the same.
I bought Randy Frazee's book, The Connecting Church a few years ago at a conference. I must have started reading it five times since then. Well, since I am starting a new degree program this summer through Denver Seminary, I found myself staring down a list of books that were suddenly labeled "required reading." I have enjoyed almost every book of the 2,000 pages I've been "required" to read.
Last night, I buckled down and blazed a trail through The Connecting Church. Frazee writes about how our society is full of lonely people, in a culture where individualism, isolation, and consumerism are all high priorities. Instead of pursuing quality friendships or connections, we pursue individual rights, freedoms, and achievements. Instead of being available to others and finding places of dialogue and fun with people, we isolate ourselves behind our backyard fences, iPod earphones, and online passwords. Instead of placing high values on friendship, family, and being a part of a team or mission, we think that consuming the next fad, the next income level, the next entertainment rush will make us feel better.
I expected Frazee to bring insight on today's culture, and even how that has all influenced the church. What I didn't expect was to be moved to tears by his detailed description of how Christian community and friendships can make such an incredible difference in lives, families, and neighborhoods.
Randy, you move me. Of all the books I've read for this class, yours is the one that got me thinking about times when I've experienced deep connection with other people - flashbacks of my experiences at Lake, The Chapel, Grace College, BCM, and Mosaic have powerful meaning and emotion as I think about them!
I was also moved to pursue that type of connection - and seek to provide that type of connection for others - here in Delaware! Frazee and I both know that's one reason Jennie and I took the plunge and headed south on I-71. We believed God wanted to use us to build a strong, healthy place of connection with others and with Him.
I thought his book was going to be mainly for pastors or church leaders in small group ministry, but really it's for anyone. I'll go ahead and give The Connecting Church a 9.0 (out of a possible 10.0) on the Gary's unnamed book-rating scale.
(Editor's Note: At the time of this post, Gary Underwood has just one book to finish to complete all his reading - Sue Mallory's well-known blockbuster, The Equipping Church. Thanks to Jennie and to a great recumbent exercise bike for the time and focus to read.
Friday, July 01, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment